Record sessions and let students search and replay sections to enhance understanding and review.
Published on 15/02/2011, updated on 14/02/2013
What is Aston Replay?
What is Panopto?
Aston Replay is the name of our lecture capture service; The software behind this is called Panopto Focus. At Aston, mention of Panopto and Aston Replay can be considered as the same thing.
Aston Replay is a service allowing staff to record their teaching sessions. Registered students can then search and replay sections to enhance understanding and review for revision purposes. Replay is available in the majority of pool teaching rooms.
The benefits of Replay are highlighted in this short video by Aston’s HEA National Teaching Fellow Dr Peter Reddy. They include;
- Authenticated on-line access to recordings
- Slides searchable by key word in individual recordings, whole modules or across all sessions the student can view.
- Facility to add notes and share with other students within their cohort *
- Lectures available as podcasts *
* subject to tutor approval
- Non-intrusive recording of lectures
- Links to Blackboard module to minimise administration
- Minute-by-minute viewing statistics highlight areas of student interest
- Reduces post-lecture student requests for clarification
How do I use it?
You can access your Aston Replay recorded lectures via Blackboard or by browsing to replay.aston.ac.uk and "logging in via Aston's Blackboard". CLIPP have also created a tutorial to help you get the most from your viewing experience while using Aston Replay.
Before you can make any recordings you must provision your Blackboard module to the Aston Replay server. Once you have completed this simple step, you can then go on to make a recording and manage your recordings using the system. You should also be aware of the copyright implications of using this tool.